Thursday, January 6, 2011

Teaching Emma to behave.

First off, I'm beginning to suspect its not possible.

She was just starting to settle (a tiny bit, but I'll take it) and she has reached adolescence. That means she is the equivalent of a rebellious teenager. With all the not listening, misbehaving, forgetfulness, deafness, stubbornness,etc.

I have to keep looking at what an intelligent little face she has or I will send her for medical experiments. (not really, but I have to have something to threaten her with). I keep telling her that her looks are all that keeps her alive at this state.

I haven't heard from her breeder in quite a while. The cynical side of me could think that she has gotten rid of the hound from hell and she can sleep at night with both eyes closed. We can't. I'm afraid with the brain that she has that if I piss her off too much she may string a rope across the top of the stairs. So we always sleep with one eye open and her in the crate. I am just not sure when she'll have the catch on the crate figured out.

I really don't know how so much energy can be inside one little dog. My brothers were saying that its like she should have a AA battery in her but someone put in 4 D's. My husband thinks she doesn't know when to stop running around. We'll have her out for the morning at the park, bring her home and she is still going like wildfire. Finally I get sick of her bugging (again and still) Sidney and put her in the crate. Within minutes she's crashed.

Seems she came with only two speeds: on or off.



Anyway, we are seriously wondering whether she will settle down and leave Sid alone.  I am thinking that if she doesn't, we may, and I emphasize 'may', have to find her a new home. I would hate to do it, but I can't let her torture Sidney anymore. I wish we have got her about two weeks earlier so she could have met Cesar Millan. I think she may have even caused him to question his abilities.

I did just read on his page that we need to keep her away from Sidney until about two in the afternoon. She needs to burn off this energy before she meets Sid. So, starting tomorrow I think she is going to the dog park and hopefully there will be some dogs to wear her out.


* * * * *

Now, putting that aside, she has been trying very hard at the 'come' command. BUT, when it comes time to leave the park, she will NOT come close enough for me to put her in the car. I finally got fed up with her and got back in my car and drove about 20 feet away.

WELL....... all of a sudden its "OMG, where did she go? She's left me here!"

So I open the door and she comes over to the car all sheepish like and with a look like she thought she was going to be left there to fend for herself and probably die.

Now this is not working all the time, and she tries to ignore me, then all of a sudden she gets panicky because she can't see me. She has a phenomenal nose on her but she doesn't seem to figure out that I am in the car.

I keep a leash on her when she is running around, in order that I can step on it as she flies past me. We have also made a 40" lunge line to teach her to 'come' EVERY time she is called.

That's it for today. I am going to try to set aside a day each week where I can write my blogs. If I don't make myself an appointment to do it, they sort of get put off.

And then I have people at work or others telling me that I haven't written in a while.

No comments:

Post a Comment