Monday, May 30, 2011

Dogs. And ships.

I took two dogs with me to the Burlington Lift Bridge last week. Emma had never been there so I kept her on a long line. She jumps and bounces so much I was afraid she'd land in the water and I wanted a way to pull her out.

This what it looks like.


The grassy area is about 100 feet long by about 30 feet wide. I could see her doing her figure eights and leaping off that little wall and then right out over the 'huge' iron railing. I know that she is smarter than that, but I wasn't taking any chances.

While we were there we got to see that there are at least two falcon chicks at the nest site. 

We also saw two huge ships come through under the bridge. Must have ticked more than a few drivers off though. They have to get the bridge up a long time before the ship is there, in case his engines fail and he can't stop.

The first one went through and the bridge didn't go down. That's when I looked and you could just see the second one coming around the corner.

It took from 11:01 am when I first saw the ship until 11:23 when traffic was again going over the bridge.


This will give you an idea of the size of these ships.



And this will show you the fun Sid and Em had.






No comments:

Post a Comment