Wednesday, April 27, 2011

First week of new ownership

Originally written November 16, 2010


I was really concerned about how this was going to affect Sidney. He's been an only dog for so long and never learned how to play with other dogs.

He's interested in them but the minute they show interest in him he comes running to me to make it all better. I don't. I never have.

For some reason I didn't get my puppy until she was 9 weeks old. I would have preferred her to be between 7 and 8 weeks old as that is the best time for them to bond. But that didn't happen and she has worked out. Sort of.

As soon as Sidney met her he was not impressed. She cried a little on the ride home but settled down pretty quickly. I was concerned when I first picked near up as she didn't seem to recognize me as Sidney had 8 years earlier. He met me at 4 weeks old and definitely knew who I was when I returned to take him home.

As it turns out, the first week she was home, the hubby was going out of town. He only got to spend 5 days with her before he left.

Now, this trip has been on the books for 11 months and 3 weeks. I was going to be by myself at home. I had booked some time off in order to get the things done I had planned. Painting, cleaning up, installing shelves, the backyard, etc. That didn't happen as I did not take into consideration a 3.5 pound bundle of energy.

By the time hubby was gone two hours I was rethinking this whole puppy thing. She was into everything! ! !

She found things I didn't know we had any more. I expected her to drag out Jimmy Hoffa's well preserved corpse ! ! She found an expensive camera battery that hubby misplaced in May! It was even in the spot where we had looked numerous times.

She has become sort of bonded to me but I am glad to see that she is very excited when hubby comes home. I love Sidney to bits, but he is stuck to my butt ALL the time. When I move from in front of the tv to the computer, a distance of ten feet, he will get up and follow me. Right now he's sitting by my foot.

No comments:

Post a Comment